Next Parish Council meeting – Tuesday 19 April 2016 at 7.30pm

The Parish Council will next meet on Tuesday 19 April 2016 at 7.30 pm at the Oriel Room, St Ricarius Parish Church.

The papers are available by clicking here.

Everybody is welcome and there is a 15 minute public session when members of the public can comment on agenda items.

If there’s anything you would like the Parish Council to discuss but which isn’t on the agenda, please contact the Clerk using our contact form or any parish councillor and it may be that it can be included another time.


Leeds Fest Residents’ Tickets – Draw Results

The draw for the 54 residents’ tickets allocated to the Parish Council took place on Thursday 7 April at the Bowls Club – thanks to Aberford Bowls Club for letting us use the club house.

You should by now have heard via email whether you were drawn or not.

If you were successful – please follow the instructions in the email telling you how to pay for tickets or if you need to provide proof of address.

Make sure you comply with the deadlines for payment or providing proof of address – they will be applied strictly and if you miss the deadlines, you will forfeit the tickets.

Any unclaimed/forfeited tickets after 30 April will then be offered to the “reserve list”.

Village Hall Update

Viability Renovations

Work has now started on the viability renovations, made possible by the generosity of the Parish Council. The key task of repointing has now been completed.

Unfortunately our contractor has decided not to undertake any further work, so we are actively seeking quotes for the remainder of the work. If you are able to quote, please contact David Gluck (Tel 0113 2812522, Mobile 07905 76683, Email: ) for details of the work required.

Further improvements

We have managed to secure an additional grant from the National Lottery which will enable us to tackle some long overdue jobs inside the hall.

The most noticeable of these improvements will be a new floor in the main hall which will be laid during the May half term. Our dancers are especially delighted.


Supporters of Aberford Village Hall is a new group we are forming and are delighted that as a result we have support with communications from Mark Greenwood.

Mark has created a FaceBook group you are welcome to join, and also designed our flyer which was distributed alongside the Parish Council Newsletter.

Many thanks to Mark, and if you would like to increase your involvement with the hall (without the need to attend Monthly meetings), please do make contact (

Aberford Village Hall
April 2016

Grants for community groups

From time to time, the Parish Council becomes aware of funding opportunities for local groups. We will try and keep this post updated with details so keep an eye on this section of the website.

Hook Moor Wind Farm Community Farm

£10,000 available every year for community groups in Aberford and Micklefield. For more information, click here.

Safer Communities Fund

The Safer Communities Fund was launched to help voluntary, community groups, charities and partners make their communities safer and feel safer.  Grants are awarded in line with the priorities set out in the Police and Crime plan.

  • Crime and re-offending is reduced
  • Anti-social behaviour is reduced
  • Victims and witnesses are supported
  • Local, regional and national threats, risks and harms are tackled
  • Criminal justice system is effective and efficient

Who can apply?

The fund is open to Voluntary and Community Groups, small Charities and not-for-profit groups, National Charities working in West Yorkshire, West Yorkshire Local Authorities and Statutory Agencies including West Yorkshire Police.


Full details, application form, guidance notes and terms and conditions can be found on the Police Crime Commissioner’s website under Safer Communities Fund:

If you’d like further information, please get in touch:

 Phone: 01924 294000 (please leave a message and we will get back to you)



It’s a plan – you can get involved!

Councillor Keith Dunwell, a member of the Neighbourhood Development Plan Management Group comments as follows:

Over the past few years communities throughout the Country have been involved in  Neighbourhood Development Planning for their respective areas.  Aberford’s planning group (an extension of the Parish Council itself) was initially put together by Parish Councillors, who managed to fire the enthusiasm of a number of local residents, during 2012 and continues to this day – although with a drastically reduced membership.

The present day Group is made up of Parish Councillors, members of the local community, others with a lasting affinity to the area and a paid consultant (sponsored through grant funding).

Considerable progress was being made last year until our valued Consultant, Mike Dando, became unwell and had to leave us.  A replacement for Mike is currently being sought to guide us through to a satisfactory completion of the Plan.

The Group meets locally on the first Thursday of each month and more members are needed to help with the upcoming final stage of ‘The Plan’.  You are very welcome to join us – please get in touch for more details.


Leeds City Council now has a dedicated Flood Advice page – click here.

Supporters of Aberford Village Hall

Would you like to support our Village Hall? But don’t want to commit yourself to attending a monthly meeting? Then why not become a Supporter of Aberford Village Hall?
The Supporters will be a group of people willing to provide advice or help, on an ad hoc basis, as and when their skills, knowledge, and time allow.
As a Supporter you will receive more frequent email updates on our plans for the hall, together with a summary of activities to which you may be able to contribute advice, expertise and/or time.
There will be no obligation (and no monthly meetings!), nevertheless it is anticipated that this group will provide great help in ensuring that one of our few community assets continues to play a key role in our village.
If you are willing to become a Supporter please email Let us know if you have any particular ways you may be able to help, e.g. building expertise, building maintenance, painting, building a website, helping with grant applications, marketing, fund raising, general help, etc., etc.
You can also discuss with any committee member (listed on the Parish Council website), or call David Gluck (0113 281 2522) or Stewart Sims (0113 393 5043).
Many thanks in advance for your support.

Village Hall Update

The fantastic news is that the Parish Council have agreed to make a grant available to enable some of the urgent maintenance tasks to be undertaken. As detailed in our October update we will now be able to address key concerns including the roof, external walls, doors, and kitchen windows. This essential work will enable the building to remain open.
We have also received a grant from The George A Moore Foundation which together with the grant from the Parish Council will enable us to replace the boiler and perform vital upgrades to the gas pipes and heating system. We are grateful for the support of the Parish Council and The George A Moore Foundation.
We aim to commence the projects in early 2016.
What is next?
Our next goal will be to tackle the floor of the main hall. We regularly receive feedback that this needs addressing, and will be considering options and funding possibilities over the next couple of months.
Longer term redevelopment
The income generated by the users of the hall is sufficient to pay for the basic upkeep of the hall (utilities, cleaning, minor maintenance); however is not adequate to fund some of the more fundamental remediation work required.
A number of development schemes have been proposed within the village that involve a contribution to the hall.  However none of the schemes are well advanced, may not obtain planning permission (primarily due to the developments being in the green belt) and so are unlikely to make any contribution in the medium/long term.
The hall is increasingly busy and at times we are having to turn away bookings. This is frustrating as the hall has two areas (behind the stage, under the stage) that could be bought into use if we had the funds to bring them up to an acceptable standard.
We would value input from members of the local community.
Supporters of the Village Hall
We have a launched a scheme called “Supporters of the Village Hall”. Our aim is to provide a simple way for people to be able to provide ad hoc advice, time and/or expertise to support the hall. Further details are on the Parish Council Website or please email Please consider joining!


Aberford Village Hall
December 2015

Village Hall

At the December 2015 meeting the Parish Council agreed, in principle, to grant £15,000 to the Village Hall for essential maintenance works to the fabric of the building and provide a new boiler.This follows a request from the Village Hall Committee a couple of months ago. More background is provided on their dedicated page here.

The Parish Council considers that this will be money well spent to help ensure the continued provision of this valuable and essential community asset.